Landlord's electrical installation condition report (EICR)
Guidance for Landlord and Tenants
Guidance has been released by Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government that confirms the new regulations for mandatory electrical safety checks in the private rented sector will still go ahead as planned.
The guidance makes it clear that Landlords should make every effort to abide by the new electrical safety regulations which require them to:
- Have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every five years;
- Provide a copy of the report (known as the Electrical Safety Condition Report or EICR) to their tenants, and to the local authority if requested.
- If the EICR requires investigative or remedial works (e.g. the report has C1, C2 or FI codes), landlords will have to carry this out within 28 days.
These Regulations apply in England to:
- (a) all new specified tenancies from 1st July 2020.
- (b) all existing specified tenancies from 1st April 2021.
For all enquiries regarding the EICR or to schedule a visit from Bird on a wire to your property please contact us.